Unlike regular tofu, thousand layer tofu slices have a special texture. Called 百页豆腐 in Chinese, when pan-fried, it is soft and chewy on the inside, and crispy on the outside. It’s texture is what makes this tofu very addictive. They can be found in the frozen section in Asian grocery stores. The whole family loves 百页豆腐, it’s best served vegetarian style and I simply followed the instructions on the packaging using four key ingredients: ginger, soy sauce, sugar, and sesame oil.
I did some research online, and found that 百页豆腐 is actually rated not as healthy as traditional tofu 😳?! It’s frozen, pressed tofu and often seasoned to enhance its flavor. I am a firm believer in eating in moderation. It is OK to try something we like every once in a while as long as we do not indulge.
It’s a very tasty recipe. We will certainly come back to it in a few months 🙂.
- 1 package vegan emerald tofu slices
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 slices ginger
- 2 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 cup diced bell peppers
- 1 cup baby corn, sliced
- 2 cups cut green beans
- a handful of fresh basil leaves
- Heat one table spoon vegetable oil in wok over medium high heat.
- Pan fry tofu until golden brown on each side. Set aside.
- Prepare seasoning. Mix sugar, soy sauce and sesame in a medium bowl, set aside.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in the work. Fry ginger slices until fragrant.
- Turn up heat. Stir fry green beans and bell peppers until cook, about two minute. I like vegetables crisp, so do not overcook.
- Add seasoning and pan fried tofu. Stir until seasoning is evenly distributed.
- Stir in the fresh basil leaves.
- Serve hot with fried rice, jasmine rice.