My cravings for durian struck again. I wanted to make durian puffs but decided to go easy and picked up a pack of spring roll skin instead. Indeed this recipe takes much less work than durian puffs. When you are short on time and feeling dessert, this is a go to recipe if you have the ingredients on hand. Creamy durian and cream cheese in crispy spring roll skin served with a scoop of coconut ice cream, yum 😋. You will do it again and again.
- 1 lb durian flesh
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 package (4 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioner sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Spring roll skin
- Cornstarch slurry (mix 1 Tbsp of cornstarch with 1 tsp water)
- Oil for deep frying
- Shredded coconut for garnish (optional)
- Scoop of coconut ice cream (optional)
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Separate and mesh durian flesh with a fork.
- Whisk together the softened cream cheese, softened butter, icing sugar, and vanilla to make cream cheese frosting.
- Mixed 1 cup of durian flesh with 1/3 cup of cream cheese frosting until well combined.
- Place 1 Tbsp durian filling on a sheet of spring roll skin. Roll and seal with cornstarch slurry.
- Heat oil for deep frying over medium heat until bubble runs up a wooden chop stick briskly when dipped into the oil.
- Deep fry until the skin is golden brown.
- Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream and dust with powdered sugar and shredded coconut.