After addressing Ashley’s request for Omurice, I am off to prepare Lobster Roll for Hillary. We had Lobster Roll, Coleslaw, and Fresh Fruit Tart for our Labor Day brunch.
I paid $60 at Costco for 8 lobster tails that weighed about 2 lbs in total. Not a bad deal. After much research on how to prepare lobster tail, I found that many has recommended not to overdress the lobster. Preparing this lobster roll couldn’t be easier. The hardest part is actually separating the lobster meat from the shell before steaming.
- 2 lb lobster tail (I got 8 lobster tails for ~ half oz each)
- Romaine lettuce leaves
- half a lemon
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 split-top brioche hot dog buns
- Defreeze lobster tails overnight in the refrigerator if frozen.
- With kitchen sheers, slit the top of the lobster shell. Devein as needed. Run your fingers between the lobster meat and the shell to separate the meat but still leaving the meat in the shell.
- Rinse under cool water and repeat until all lobster tails are cleaned.
- Steam the lobster tails. I steamed the 2 lbs lobster in two batches, about 20 minutes each. Oversteaming will make the lobster meat rubbery. The lobster shell should turn bright red when it is ready.
- Cool the lobster completely. Remove the meat from the shell. Save the shell and juice for seafood broth. I used it to make the sauce for Chilli Crab  for dinner :).
- Cut the lobster meat into large chunks if you prefer. Add a squeeze of lemon juice. Toss the lobster meat in the mayonnaise.
- Chill the lobster meat for at least two hours.
- When ready to serve, brush the sides of the hot dog buns with butter and toast the buns on a skillet until golden.
- Insert two romaine lettuce leaves into the split top of hot dog bun and top with a mound of lobster meat.