I saw Thai Banana and Banana tempura batter mix at the Asian grocery store last weekend. I am not a fan of deep fried food, but goreng pisang (deep fried banana) is an exception. This is one of my favorite snack growing up in Singapore, and I couldn’t resist bringing both of them home.
I am surprised how easy it is to make this snack at home. Wish I had tried it earlier. Add toppings of walnut, chocolate chips, and a dollop of coconut ice cream, its heavenly.
Note: to make goreng pisang, you really need bananas that have a firm texture so that they do not disintegrate when fried. With the leftover batter mix, I tried this receipe again using regular Dole bananas, and the outcome was quite disastrous.
- 6 Thai bananas
- 4 oz banana tempura batter mix
- 1/2 cup ice cold water
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- Oil for deep frying
- Beat the batter mix with water, salt, sugar until well blended.
- Heat oil in a small deep pot until bubbles run up when a wooden chopstick is dipped into the oil.
- Coat each banana with the batter and deep fry individually until the crust is golden brown.
- Transfer to plate lined with paper towel to cool.
- Serve warm with your favorite topping. I serve it with walnut, chocolate coconut chips, and coconut ice cream.