Oven roasted vegetables is my preferred method of cooking non-leafy vegetables. Especially for eggplants, they soak up much less oil and preserves the taste and texture beautifully. Most of the sambal eggplant recipes I find online involve deep frying or stir frying the eggplants. Let’s make mine the first Oven Roasted Sambal Eggplant recipe and it’s super easy!
- 3 large Chinese egg plants
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp sambal chilli
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Rinse and dry egg plants. Slice into big bite size pieces.
- Toss sliced egg plants in a large mixing bowl with the minced garlic, canola oil, salt, and black pepper.
- Line a rectangular tray with foil and parchment paper.
- Working in batches, distribute the egg plant pieces in a single layer on the tray and roast for 8 minutes at 450 degrees F.
- Take the tray out and shake the tray to loosen the pieces from the parchment paper.
- Return the tray back to the oven and contiune to roast for another 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven, set aside.
- Repeat steps 5 to 8 until all the egg plants are roasted.
- Heat the sambal in wok over medium heat. Toss the roasted egg plant in the heated sambal until evenly coated.