I received a jar of sambal chilli over the holidays from my friend Sheong. For many week’s I’ve been thinking how best to enjoy this prized possesion. What else? its Nasi Lemak! I haven’t been cooking much since moving to Scottsdale. This jar of sambal really came in handy. Whipping up Sambal Ikan Bilis couldn’t be easier with this ready-made chilli sauce.
- 5 oz ikan bilis, rinse and air dried
- 5 oz raw peanuts, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp sambal chilli, adjust amount to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Heat enough oil in a skillet over medium low heat and stir fry the peanuts until brown and crispy. About 5 minutes. Remove peanuts from oil and drain on paper towel. Sprinkle salt over the peanuts. Toss until evenly coated.
- Heat oil again over medium low heat, Add the air-dried ikan bilis and stir fry until crispy. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel as well.
- Remove oil from skillet. Heat 4 Tbsp sugar in skillet until melted and add sambal, ikan bilis and peanuts into the melted sugar. Toss until evenly coated.
- Spread mixture out on a tray to cool completely.
- Serve with other sides for Nasi Lemak.
- Store leftover ikan bilis in an air tight container in the refrigerator.