I make home-cooked organic food for my pet dog Nike. Meatloaf is on the rotation every other week. Packed with ground turkey, brussel sprouts, carrots, kaiser rolls, eggs, and milk, it is in everyway much healthier than a lot of food we eat everyday. Many times, the girls will tell me they want to eat Nike’s meat loaf. This weekend, Hanna asked for clean eating again, and I decided to make a version for her inspired by Nike’s meat loaf.
Hanna’s meat loaf has all the wholesome organic ingredients minus the calcium and miracle powder. No salt, no fat. Can it be cleaner? I guessed it must taste a little flat, so I made a mushroom gravy to go along with it.
Nike asked, can I try?
- 1 lb organic ground turkey
- 2 cups shredded brussels spouts
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 6 Kaiser rolls, cubed
- 2 cups organic whole milk
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp light soy sauce (optional)
- 6 oz chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 cup mushroom stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Grease a 9″ loaf pan and coat it with bread crumbs.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Pack mixture into the loaf pan. Dust the top with bread crumbs.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and the loaf pulls away from the side. About an hour.
- Melt butter in a skillet.
- Saute the onion until it starts to brown.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and cook until it is softened.
- Add the flour and continue to stir until it is pasty.
- Add the mushroom stock, stirring until the gravy thickens.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.