My abstinence from dessert only lasted one week 😔. I found an excuse to use some leftover ricotta cheese in the fridge, and made this moist lemon ricotta cake with raspberry sauce.
Few can resist a lemon, cheese, and raspberry combo. Ashley said, she’ll try half a slice, but she went back twice for more. It is good.
- 9 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 7/8 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/8 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1 cup stewed apple or apple sauce
- powdered sugar for dusting
- 6 oz raspberry
- 1/8 cup sugar
- Juice of half a lemon
- Reserve a few raspberry for garnish
- Vanilla ice cream for serving (optional)
Lemon Ricotta Cake
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 inch cake pan. I use an additional cake liner for easy removal of the cake.
- In the mixing bowl of a standing mixer, beat the butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add the eggs and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine both the wet and dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Add the ricotta cheese, lemon zest, and apple sauce.
- Stir again until well combined.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out the batter.
- Bake the cake for 30 minutes until the cake is golden on top and the edges starts to pull away from the side of the pan. Do not over bake as the edges gets burnt.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Flip the cake onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- Transfer to a cake platter. Dust the top with powdered sugar.
- While cake is baking, mash raspberry with sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan.
- Bring mixture to boil over mixture. Reduce the heat and continue to simmer until the sauce thickens. Set aside.
- Cut cake into serving slices, serve with ice cream and raspberry sauce.