I usually count on canned braised peanuts whenever the recipe calls for them.
I decided to make them in my own kitchen this time for Chinese Glutinuois Rice. Use the slow cooker, and you don’t have to keep an eye on them as they soak up the flavors of spice, soy sauce and rock sugar. They are tasty as appetizer, and awesome as sides for Teochew porridge.
- 2 cups peanuts
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 3 cloves
- 2 Tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp light soy sauce
- a few small pieces of rock sugar
- hot water, enough to cover the peanuts
- Boil peanuts for 5 minutes and drain.
- Remove loose skin and transfer the boiled peanuts to a slow cooker.
- Add enough hot water to just cover the peanuts.
- Add cinnamon sticks, star anise, cloves, rock sugar and soy sauce.
- Set to cook at low setting overnight.
- Next morning, the peanuts should be tender and ready to go for any recipe that calls for them.