Happy Fall. Its the season for apples, I counted there are some 7 different types of apples on display in TJ! Hillary just texted me to ask how to cook stewed apples. Well, this can’t be easier if you have a slow cooker. Its a 5-minute prep before you go to bed, and wake up to some tender, juicy spiced apple and cider the next morning. They are heart-warming on a chilly weekend morning.
- 2 big apples. I chose the Envy this time. Any apples with some tartness will do well in this recipe.
- 2 cups water
- 50g rock sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick, optional
- 1 star anise, optional
- Cut apples in halves and remove the core.
- Arrange them in a large slow cooker, face up.
- Add cinnamon, start anise, sugar, and water.
- Cover, and set the slow cooker to cook on low. 6 hours is good. I cooked them for more than 8 hours this time and turned out to be a little mushy. Adjust the time according to how tender you like your apple to be.
Note: Ever wonder how to make applesauce? Mash them up with a potato masher and you get some super delicious applesauce