There is no better pick-me-up on a Sunday morning than two soft-boiled eggs drizzled with dark soy sauce, freshly toasted Kaya toasts , and a cup of freshly brewed kopi (coffee). This is my favorite kopitiam (coffee shop) breakfast back home. My secret to a perfect soft-boiled egg is the gadget below, shipped from SG by Hwee. Thank you! We’ve had soft-boiled eggs many times when I don’t feel like fixing breakfast on a lazy weekend morning. However, there is always something missing without the Kaya toasts. Finally, I tried homemade kaya last weekend. This trio breakfast combo is one of the best. Mission accomplished!
To make perfect soft boiled eggs with the above gadget,
- Make sure you bring the eggs to room temperature. I typically take the eggs out from the refrigerator the night before.
- When you wake up in the morning, place the desired number (up to 4) of eggs in the container with the drip hole.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a rapid boil and pour the boiling water over the eggs up to the markings for the corresponding number of eggs.
- Cover and let the water drip from the container.
- When the water is all drained, remove the eggs and crack them into a serving dish immediately. If you don’t crack the eggs immediately, it will continue to cook and you will not get perfect soft-boiled eggs.
- Drizzle with dark soy sauce and sprinkle generously with ground white pepper.
- Serve hot. It’s good on its own, but best with Kaya toasts and coffee.