I had a discovery last week in my culinary adventure. Leek flower. I am surprised they taste so crisp and sweet! Stir fry with golden fried bean cakes, they are an awesome pair. Furthermore, leek flower is so clean, and easy to prepare. I will definitely be trying out more recipes with leek flower in the future.
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes (most of the time was really spent on frying the ‘golden pillows’)
- 4 cups leek flowers, cut into 1-2 inch strips
- 1 lb firm bean cakes soaked overnight in salt water (note: these are bean cakes, not tofu. In US, I have never found salted bean cakes, hence I soak them in salt water overnight so they become a little salted)
- 1 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 package shimeji mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- Shrimp (optional)
- Prepare ‘golden pillows’. Cut the bean cakes to desired size and pan fry until each piece is golden on all sides.
- If adding shrimp, stir fry shrimp in wok until cooked. Remove from wok an set aside.
- Heat canola oil in wok over medium high heat. Add minced garlic and stir fry until fragrant.
- Turn up heat. Add the carrots and mushrooms. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the leek flowers. Stir fry for another minute.
- Add the shrimp, fish sauce, light soy sauce and fry for another minute.
- Add the sesame oil, give a quick stir and transfer to serving dish.