Noodles symbolizes longevity. It is a favorite item on the menu for Chinese dinner of any celebratory occasion. After preparing a number of other dishes for our CNY dinner, I wanted a ‘longevity’ dish to round out the menu. It must be simple, not too oily. I chose Hong Kong Fried Noodles this time. It is very easy to put together if you are willing to skip picking the bean sprouts roots. For me, I have to pick every bean sprouts clean of its roots, so it took a lot more time. Otherwise, this is a easy 10-minute recipe. There were a lot of thumbs up for the noodles 🙂
- Prep time: 5 minutes (exclude time to pick bean sprout roots)
- Cook time: 5 minutes
- 400g cooked egg noodles
- 4 Tbsp canola oil
- 200g bean sprouts, picked clean, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 large yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 4 stalks green onions, chopped diagonally
- 100g yellow chives, cut into 1-inch pieces (I skipped it, since I couldn’t find them in the grocery store)
- 4 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- Mix the sauce ingredients in a measuring cup and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Loosen the egg noodles and add it to the boiling water. Turn off heat and let the noodles sit in the water for half a minute.
- Drain the noodles in a colander. Drizzle 2 Tbsp canola oil over the noodles and toss with a chop stick to distribute the oil evenly through the noodles. Let the noodles cool completely.
- In a large wok, heat 1 Tbsp canola oil over medium high heat. Toss in the bean sprouts and give it a quick stir. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Add the sliced onions, and stir fry until onion is softened.
- Turn up heat and add the cooled egg noodles. Toss the noodles with the onions until well distributed.
- Add the sauce mixture around the edge of the noodles. Add the bean sprouts, chives, and chopped green onions. Reserve some green onions for garnish.
- Toss the noodles again until the noodles is evenly coated with the sauce and all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Transfer the noodles to a serving dish and garnish with chopped green onions.