I was all flustered from cooking a mushroom risotto dish by the time I sat down at the dinner table at a Christmas get-together. The mushroom risotto didn’t turned out as I had expected and took way too long to prepare. Then I saw a similar dish brought by Hsiao Ting’s brother-in-law Johnson. I took a bite and wow! It was light, fluffy and very tasty. I asked how he prepared it and it was simple 5 steps: cook rice, cook chicken, pour alfredo sauce, cover with swiss cheese, and bake. Johnson has kindly shared his ‘secret’ recipe and gave me permission to publish. I think the ‘secret’ is the use of basmati rice that made it so delightful. We are a family of mushroom fans, I added mushroom and also fried the rice before baking. Its super tasty. Thank you Johnson!
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups basmati rice
- water to cook rice
- 1 cup fresh green peas
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black peper
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 eggs, beaten
Chicken Mushroom Alfredo
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 chicken thighs, cut into 1-in chunks
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 10 oz shitake mushroom, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 15 oz alfredo sauce
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 1 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Prepare the rice the day before. Wash and cook basmati rice in a rice cooker using the amount of water according to rice cooker instructions. Rake the rice when cooked. Cool and chill in the refrigerator until ready to cook the next day.
- Prepare fried rice. Melt the butter over medium high heat in a wok. Add the chopped onions and fry until softened. Stir in the minced garlic and fry for another minute or two until garlic and onions start to brown.
- Add the green peas, fry for another 2 minutes until the peas are cooked.
- Turn up the heat and add in the chilled rice. Fry with two spatula until all the grains are loosened.
- Push the rice to the side of the wok and make a well in the middle.
- Add the beaten eggs, scramble within the well. Cover the eggs with the rice for half a minute and then continue to fry with the two spatula until the rice and egg are loose and fluffy. Stir in the salt and pepper.
- Stir in the chopped parsley and cilantro. Turn off heat.
- Transfer the rice into a 10-in oven-proof serving dish.
Chicken and Mushroom Alfredo
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Season the chicken chunks with salt and pepper for half an hour.
- Heat olive oil in the wok over medium high heat. Add the chopped onions and fry until onion starts to turn brown.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and chicken chunks and fry until the chicken is cooked.
- Add the alfredo sauce and stir for a minute.
- Pour the chicken and sauce over the fried rice.
- Cover the top with four slices of swiss cheese. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes until the cheese is melted and cheese turned golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.