This last trip to Puerto Vallarta, Ashley was in search of Nacho Supreme. We tried a few versions, they were all so good and tasty. I had to try to make it at home and decided to make EK a birthday Nacho Pizzette instead of a birthday cake. This is my version of Nacho Supreme loaded with Italian sausage, tomatoes, lime juice, and cheese. Sounds like some unlikely combo, but tastes awesome hot out of the oven. Try it.
- Prep Time: half hour
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs Spicy Italian Sausage
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Pinto Beans
- 1 large onion, chopped (divided into 2 portions)
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 6 large roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- 2 cups shredded mexican 4-cheese mix
- Tortilla chips
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 1/2 chopped onions and cook until it starts to soften.
- Add the spicy italian sausage, breaking it with two spatula and cook until brown. Drain the fat.
- Add the beans and hot water and stir until water is absorbed. Set aside.
- Mix the chopped tomatoes, remaining 1/2 chopped onions, chopped cilantro, salt, and lime juice in a large bowl until combined. Set aside.
- When ready to serve, arrange the tortilla chips on a large plate or pizza tray.
- Top each chip with the sausage mixture and sprinkle of mexican cheese. Add a layer of tomato mixture. Sprinkle with more cheese and green onions.
- While it is nice to add another layer of chips, sausage, tomatoes, and cheese, I find the best results is to cook the chips one layer at a time.
- Bake in 350 degrees F oven for 15 minutes or microwave for 50 secs until all cheese melted and sausage mixture is heated through.
- Sprinkle with more chopped green onions and diced avocado. Serve immediately while it is hot.