I brought gula melaka agar agar to a Singapore / Malaysian theme BBQ get-together this evening. This is a nice and refreshing dessert when well chilled. Thankful for a great evening with friends and delicious Singaporean food.
- 2 Litres water
- 6 screw pandan leaves tied into a knot
- 350 g chopped gula melaka
- 20g agar agar powder
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Beat the eggs with salt in a bowl and whisk into the coconut milk. Set aside.
- Boil gula melaka with water and pandan leaves for 15 minutes.
- Add agar agar powder, stir well and continue to boil for 5 more minutes. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Run the mixture through a fine sieve into another pot. Maintain the mixture on a slow boil over medium low heat.
- Add the coconut milk mixture through a fine sieve while stirring constantly.
- Continue to boil over low heat for another 5 minutes.
- Pour into mold and cool completely before transferring to the refrigerator to chill. This recipe fills my 13×9 inch glass baking dish nicely.
- Cut into slices just before serving.