The theme for our next gourmet club event is “Hawaiian”. Here is one interesting article  I found online about Spam and Hawaii. Surely, a Hawaiian gourmet club meet has to have a spam dish. I tried this Asian Meat Patty and Spam Loco Moco today. Thumbs up! We can eat this for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and supper. Great comfort food. I’m ready for the next club meet 🙂
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Serves: 3
For the Coconut Rice
- 12 oz jasmine rice
- 16 oz coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 screw pandan leaves
For the Asian Meat Patties
- See Ingredients for Chinese/Homestyle Meat Balls 
For the Gravy
- 6 Shitake Mushroom, chopped
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp worchestire sauce 
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp corn starch mixed with 1 Tbsp water
For the Loco Moco
- 1/2 can of Spam, cut into slices
- 3 eggs
- Tomato slices for garnish
- Cucumber slices for garnish
- Chopped scallions for garnish
To prepare the Coconut Rice:
- Wash and drain the rice and place it in the rice cooker.
- Add the coconut milk, salt, and pandan leaves.
- Cook per instructions of the rice cooker.
To prepare the Asian Meat Patties:
- Follow instructions for Chinese/Homestyle Meatballs  to prepare the ingredients.
- Shape into hamburger patties, pan fry over medium high heat till golden brown on both sides.
To prepare the Gravy:
- Sauté the chopped onion with 2 Tbsp canola oil over medium high heat until onion is softened.
- Add the chopped mushrooms. Continue to sauté until mushroom is soft.
- Add the chicken broth, worchestire sauce, light soy sauce, and bring to a slow boil.
- Add the cornstarch and water mixture slowly while stirring. The gravy will thicken.
- Add the black ground pepper, give it a stir and set aside.
Assembling the Loco Moco:
- Pan fry the spam slices over medium high heat until brown on each side. I fry the spam without oil as oil will be oozing out as the spam cooks.
- Fry the eggs sunny side up in the same pan. There is no need to add oil. Just use the oil from pan frying the spam slices.
- Scoop a serving of coconut rice into serving dish, top with a meat patty, two slices of spam, and one egg sunny side up. Ladle a scoop of gravy over the coconut rice.
- Garnish with tomato, cucumber slices, and sprinkle with chopped scallions.