I have been eyeing this Tyler Florence Lemon Pudding Cake recipe for weeks, but I am reluctant to buy a carton of buttermilk just to use 2/3 cup of it. Finally, I decided to try a buttermilk substitute using some leftover yogurt. It turns out perfect! Just found another awesome dessert recipe for the holidays!
- Prep time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Serves 4
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2/3 cup superfine sugar + more for dusting
- 2 eggs separated
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/6 cup whole milk
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Confectioner sugar and berries for garnish
- Butter 4 ramekins and coat the bottom and side with sugar.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Stir milk into yogurt until well blended.
- Whisk egg yolk, yogurt and milk mixture, lemon juice, lemon zest in a mixing bowl until combined.
- Sift flour, sugar, and salt into the egg yolk mixture. Stir to combine.
- Beat egg whites until a stiff peak forms.
- Fold egg whites into egg yolk and flour mixture to get a smooth batter.
- Divide batter equally among the 4 ramekins.
- Arrange ramekins in a baking dish and fill the dish with hot water halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake in heated oven for 50 minutes until the top of the cake is golden brown.
- Remove ramekins from the baking dish and cool slightly.
- Unmold the cake onto a plate. Garnish with berries and dust with confectioner sugar. Serve warm.