With the kids at home for the summer, there is so much pressure to start eating the moment I turn off the stove. There is hardly any chance to snap photos of the dishes before they are attacked. Another excuse for slacking off on my food blog … but, I managed to capture a few shots of this variation of fresh spring rolls  before it gets devoured.
- Follow the ingredient list for fresh spring rolls
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 4 shallots, sliced thinly
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp palm sugar
- 1 tsp sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
- 1 big bunch of Thai basil leaves
- 6 bird’s eye chillies, seeded and minced
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
To prepare ingredients for fresh spring rolls:
- Follow directions on the fresh spring rolls recipe. I made a modification this time by steaming the carrots for 5 minutes before cutting them so that they are more tender.
- Keep ingredients chilled in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
To prepare basil chicken:
- Heat coconut oil in the wok over medium high heat.
- Add minced garlic and shallots, stir fry until garlic and shallots starts to brown.
- Add the ground chicken and break the chicken up with the spatula until the chicken starts to cook.
- Toss in the minced chilli and the seasonings (fish sauce, palm sugar, sweet soy sauce).
- Continue to stir fry until the ingredients are well mixed.
- Add the basil leaves, stirring quickly until the leaves are wilted.
- Sprinkle the ground pepper over the dish and give it a quick stir.
- Transfer to serving dish.
To assemble the spring roll:
- Follow the assembly directions in the fresh spring roll  recipe, layering the basil chicken in between the vegetables.