This is another of the must-have item during my visit home in August. I can’t wait for three more months. So Mrs Leong’s cook book came to the rescue again.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Serves: 3
Paste for Noodles:
- 4 oz shallots
- 8 birds eye chilli
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 Tbsp shrimp paste
- 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp msg
- 4 oz canola oil
- 4 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 4 birds eye chilli, sliced
- 4 small potatoes, boiled, skinned, and cubed
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 box extra firm tofu, cubed and fried
- 1/2 onion, sliced thinly
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 stalks Chinese mustard greens, cleaned and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 8 oz savoy cabbage, stems removed, and cut into 1 inch squares
- 14 oz fresh yellow noodles
- 4 eggs
- light soy sauce
- 2 Tbs fried crispy shallots
- 3 limes, cut into wedges
To prepare paste for noodles:
- Grind shallots, garlic, chillies, and shrimp paste into a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a shallow pan, add the paste and fry until fragrant.
- Add sugar, salt, and msg. Continue to cook for another 3 minutes. Turn off heat and set aside.
To fry noodles:
- Mix tomato ketchup, soy sauce, and chilli in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Heat wok till smokey hot, add oil and sliced onions. Fry until soft and translucent.
- Add Chinese mustard greens and cabbage. Stir fry until the vegetable starts to wilt.
- Add noodles, potatoes, tofu cubes, and ketchup mixture. Toss until noodles are coated evenly with ketchup mixture.
- Push noodles to the side of the wok.
- Add 4 Tbsp oil to the middle of the wok. Toss in cherry tomato halve and eggs. Drizzle 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce over eggs. Scramble until eggs are half cooked.
- Cover scrambled eggs with noodles. Add 4 Tbsp paste for noodles.
- Turn up heat. Toss and stir fry until paste is evenly distributed.
- Remove to a serving plane and garnish with crispy shallots and lime wedges.