There are still plenty of the multi-colored carrots left in the refrigerator. It has been a while since I tried making carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. It is time to indulge!
- Prep time: 30 mins
- Cook time: 40 mins
- Makes a 10-inch cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups grated carrots, 1 cup each of the orange, yellow, and purple carrots
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 salt
- 1 1/4 cup canola oil
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioner sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 pecan halves, toasted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecan
- 1/4 cup grated multi-color carrots.
- 1/4 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease two 10-inch cake pan and line with parchment paper at the bottom.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
- In the large mixing bowl, beat egg, oil, sugar, and vanilla extract until thick and creamy.
- Stir in the flour mixture. Fold in grated carrots.
- Divide batter into the two cake pans.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in cake pan for 10 minutes. Then invert cake pans onto a wire rack and remove the pans. Cool cakes completely on wire rack.
To prepare Cream Cheese frosting:
- Sift confectioner sugar into a bowl.
- In a mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, whip softened butter, cream cheese, 1 tsp vanilla extract until well blended.
- Add sugar, and beat until mixture is soft and creamy.
To assemble the cake:
- Divide cream cheese frosting in half.
- Mix half the cream cheese frosting with 1/2 cup chopped pecans.
- Place one layer of the carrot cake on a serving plate.
- Spread cream cheese and pecan mixture over the bottom layer of the cake.
- Place the top layer of the carrot cake over the cream cheese frosting.
- Spread the other half of the frosting on the top layer of the cake.
- Arrange the pecan halves on the frosting.
- Sprinkle the grated carrots and desiccated coconut flakes over the frosting.
- Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.