Today, I made bruschetta to go with the spicy italian sausage lasagna  and tiramisu  for our Italiano dinner. I like this recipe because the sun-dried tomatoes and balsamic vinegar give the appetizer a little punch. Since I have been into colorful dishes lately, I added some yellow cherry tomatoes to jazz up the look. A few cherry tomatoes can really liven up the dish. It looks good, smells good, and tastes good. Yup, the cherry tomatoes get to stay on this recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 4 roma tomatoes, chopped
- a handful, grape/cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup julienned sundried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, julienned
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 baguette
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven on medium broiler setting.
- Combine tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, basil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. You can also do this step ahead and let the mixture chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Diagonally slice the baguette into 3/4 inch slices. On a baking sheet, arrange the baguette slices in a single layer. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes until slightly brown.
- Divide the tomato mixture over the baguette slices. Top the slices with mozzarella cheese.
- Broil for 2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot.