I had a hard time with the title of this post. I don’t think there is a dish named for what goes in the bowl, so I made one up myself. Spicy sweet and sour Thai sauce + Mahi Mahi + spaghetti + Shimeji mushrooms + lotus roots; it has elements of Thai, Italian, Japanese, Chinese. I decided to call it the Pan-seared Mahi Mahi Fusion Bowl. Or should it be Rainbow Bowl? I love the colors!
- Pre-time: 30 min
- Cook time: 30 min
- Serves: 4
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup gula melaka (coconut sugar)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 fresh red chilli, minced
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp minced lemongrass
(B) Mahi Mahi and Oven Roasted Vegetables
- 4 servings of Mahi Mahi
- 1 small crown brocolli
- 1 small crown each of white, green, and purple cauliflower
- 1 small sweet potato squash
- 1 small carrot
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 package Shimeji mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- micro greens for garnish
(C) Lotus Root Chips
- 1 small segment lotus root
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
(D) 2 servings of cooked spaghetti
To prepare Lotus Root Chips
- Remove skin of lotus root with a peeler.
- Cut into 1/8″ inch slices.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the slices and fry in air fryer until crispy. Alternatively, deep fry the lotus root or air bake in the oven.
To prepare noodle bowl
- Mix all the ingredients of marinade (A) in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for ~20 mins uncovered, until sauce starts to thicken. Set aside and let sauce cool.
- Prepare spaghetti according to package instructions and set aside.
- Arrange mahi mahi in a flat-base pan and coat both sides of the fish slices with the cooled marinade. Marinade for at least 10 mins.
- Cut vegetables in (B) into bite size pieces. Marinade and roast vegetables per instructions given in Oven Roasted Vegetables .
- Stir fry Shijemi mushrooms with a tablespoon of oil until cooked. Set aside.
- Heat wok over medium-high heat. When wok is hot, add oil and ensure it coats the base of the wok evenly.
- When oil is hot, arrange seasoned mahi mahi in a single layer in the wok. Allow the fish to fry for 2 minutes without flipping it, this allows the bottom of the fish to be browned and seared. Flip the fish slices over and sear the other side for another two minutes.
- Bring remaining marinade to a boil again and turn off heat once the sauce boils.
- Scoop noodles into serving bowl, drizzle 1 tablespoon of sauce over the noodles. Arrange the mahi mahi, oven roasted vegetables, mushroom, and lotus root chips over the noodles. Garnish with microgreens.
- Serve hot.
The wonders of vegetables, they actually come in rainbow colors!