I learned to make Thai Spring Rolls with Jirayu Peoter of Mama Thai Cooking Club.The first time I made this was for the ‘Flower’ theme gourmet club event. I used a package of edible flowers as garnish then. I made spring rolls again for today’s Gourmet Club ‘Yum Yum Vote’ club event. My fellow club members have voted this as the best dish I have cooked for the club thus far. Thank you Jirayu!. My other accomplishment today: learned to make beet and radish roses watching you-tube. They are beautiful. Today’s dish is truly made from scratch, from flowers to spring rolls. 🙂
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Serves: Makes 30 spring rolls
- 30 sheets spring roll skin ( I use the Spring Home Brand 8″ sheets)
- 1 1/2 cup dried shitake mushrooms, soaked and thinly sliced.
- 120g glass noodles
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 2 cups finely shredded carrot
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 6 Tbsp minced garlic
- 6 Tbsp soy sauce
- 6 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 Tbsp water for sealing the spring roll skin.
- 2 cup canola oil for deep frying
- Thaw frozen spring roll skin overnight in the refrigerator the night before.
- Finely shred cabbage and carrots. Slice soaked mushrooms.
- Pick and clean bean sprouts, set aside.
- Soak glass noodles in a bowl of cold water until softened. Drain and snip with kitchen shears into short lengths.
- Heat oil in wok over medium high heat. Add minced garlic and fry until fragrant. Add sliced mushrooms and fry until the mushrooms start to brown.
- Add cabbage, carrots, bean sprouts, noodles, and soy sauce. Stir fry and mix well. Cook until the noodles looks clear and soft. Remove from pan and allow to cool completely.
- Separate the sheets of spring roll skin. Cover with a piece of wet kitchen towel to prevent drying out while you wrap the spring rolls.
- Spread out a sheet of spring roll skin. Place 2 tablespoon full of filling in the middle, fold ends over the filling and seal with wet cornstarch. Repeat until all the filling and skin are used up.
- Deep fry the spring rolls in hot oil over medium high heat until crisp and golden brown. Drain.
- Transfer to serving dish, garnish with beet and radish roses and serve hot.