Thankfully there are 15 days to celebrate the Chinese New Year. I still have some time to catch up with the blog posts on Chinese New Year dishes :). ‘Fa Cai’ a.k.a. Black Moss (发菜), a homonym for fortune (发财）in Mandarin, symbolizes ushering in good fortune in the Chinese New Year. Gong Xi Fa Cai (恭喜发财)!
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: ~ 1.5 hour
- Serves: 4
- 20 dried Shitake mushrooms
- 2 1/2 cups water
- stalks baby bok choy
- 1 can oyster clams
- 1 oz black moss (available at Chinese Supermarket)
- 1 thumb-size galangal , sliced
- 1 thumb-size old ginger, smashed
- 1 thumb-size young ginger, smashed
- 4 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 Tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- Soak dried mushrooms in 2 1/2 cups of water till the mushrooms are softened. Squeeze the mushrooms to remove water, DO NOT discard the water used to soak the mushroom. Remove mushroom stems. Run the mushroom-flavored water through a fine sieve into a medium sauce pan. Simmer with the mushroom stems for 20 minutes. Discard the mushroom stems. Set mushroom stock aside.
- Soak black moss in cold water with a tsp of canola oil until softened. Drain and squeeze dry. Set aside.
- Boil baby bok choy for a few minutes until softened, and arrange them on the serving dish.
- Heat oil in wok over medium-high heat. Add the galangal, old ginger, and young ginger, and fry for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add softened mushrooms, and stir fry for a few minutes until the mushrooms start to brown.
- Add oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, and brown sugar to the mushrooms, and continue to fry for a few minutes.
- Add the mushroom stock, bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to low heat. Simmer the mushrooms, covered, for an hour.
- Add the oyster clams and black moss, bring to a boil again, and simmer for 5 more minutes. Do not overcook the black moss.
- Transfer the black moss to the middle of the serving dish. Arrange the mushrooms and oyster clams around the black moss.
- Ladle sauce over the black moss. Serve hot.