What do I do with yesterday’s left over dashi stock? Cook more Japanese food! I am starting to realize how easy it is to prepare donburi. This recipe will get serious consideration when I need to whip up dinner quickly.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Serves: 3
- 3 pieces chicken thigh, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup dashi stock
- 2 Tbsp sake
- 2 Tbsp mirin
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 3 servings of cooked premium short grain rice
- cilantro for garnish
- Marinade the chicken thigh in teriyaki sauce overnight in the refrigerator.
- Stir fry the marinaded chicken in a wok with 1 Tbsp of oil over medium high heat. Fry until the chicken is cooked and juice runs clear. Set aside.
- Prepare the dashi stock according to the package instruction. The dashi that I purchased has instructions to mix one packet of dashi with 3 cups of water. This recipe only requires 1 cup of dashi stock. Save the remaining dashi stock for another dish.
- Boil the sliced onion, sake, mirin, soy sauce, sugar and dashi stock in a clean wok over medium high heat. Boil until the onion is tender.
- Place the chicken in the middle of the wok over the onions and dashi stock.
- Add beaten egg into the boiling stock in a slow stream.
- Boil until egg looks curdled. Turn off heat
- Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro.