Hillary asked me to cook the ‘purple rice’. I told her I’ve never seen or cooked purple rice. Then one day, I decided to make pulot hitam (black glutinous rice) for dessert and she said, this is the purple rice she wanted. Hope she’ll never mix up purple and black again. But she is right, the black rice turns purple when its cooked!
- 150g pulut hitam (black glutinous rice)
- 8 cups water
- 6 pandan leaves, knotted
- 50g gula melaka , chopped
- 50g sugar
- 120 ml thick coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Wash and rinse the black glutinous rice and place them in the slow cooker.
- Add padan leaves and 8 cups of boiling water to the slow cooker.
- Add gula melaka and sugar.
- Set the slow cooker to cook for 1 hour at high temperature. Stir at the end of the hour.
- Set the slow cooker to cook for another 4 hours at low temperature.
- The porridge is ready when the mixture is semi-thick but not gooey. Continue cooking if needed until the porridge coats the back of a spoon. Remove the pandan leaves when the porridge is ready.
- Mix coconut milk and salt.
- To serve, ladle the porridge into a bowl and top with coconut milk.