Sunday breakfast …
(A) Chai Tow Kueh (Steam Raddish Cake)
- 570g rice flour
- 2 Tbsp tapioca flour
- 6 cups water
- 2 pairs of Chinese Sausage, diced
- 8 dried mushrooms, soaked and diced
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1 kg raddish, peeled and shredded
- 1 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp salt
(B) Ingredients for frying steamed raddish cake
- ~ 300g steamed raddish cake, sliced into 1.5 cm thick
- 3 tsp canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp minced preserved raddish
- 1 Tbsp chopped chives
- 1 Tbsp chopped green onions
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
- chopped Cilantro for garnish
- dash of white pepper
To prepare steamed raddish cake:
- Mix the rice flour, tapioca flour, and water and set aside.
- In a large wok, fry the minced garlic and sliced shallots in hot oil for a few seconds, add the diced mushroom and Chinese sausage and fry till garlic and shallot turns golden brown.
- Add the shredded raddish, white pepper, sugar, and salt and sitr-fry over medium high heat for one minute. Cover the work and cook for 5 more minutes over medium heat.
- Add the rice flour mixture, and stir for 5 minutes until mixture becomes a starchy fudge.
- Oil a large 12″ steam tray. Scoop the fudge into the tray and steam over medium high heat for 30 minutes until a bamboo skewer comes out clean.
- Let the raddish cake cool completely. Prepare the steamed raddish cake the night before if you are planning to fry the cake for breakfast.
To fry raddish cake:
- Heat oil in wok and pan fry the sliced radish cake until golden brown and crispy on both sides.
- Using two turners, cut the raddish cake into bite size pieces in the wok. Push the raddish cake to the side.
- Add the minced garlic and preserved raddish in the middle of the work and add another tsp of oil, fry until minced garlic turns light brown.
- Stir in the raddish cake and mix well. Sprinkle the fish sauce and sweet soy sauce and fry for a few more seconds.
- Crack the two eggs over the raddish cake and spread evenly. When the eggs are half cooked, turn the cake over and brown the other side.
- Add the chopped chives and green onions. Add another sprinkle of sweet soy sauce and oil. Stir well.
- Dish the fried raddish cake onto a serving plate. Garnish with chopped cilantro and dash of pepper.
- Serve hot.