To prepare the chicken, fish cake, and noodles
- Marinade the chicken with all the marinade ingredients for at least 30 minutes
- Pan fry fish cake until light brown, set aside.
- Heat wok with 2 Tbsp of oil over high heat. Add the noodles and 2 tsp of black soy sauce. Stir fry the noodles until the noodles are brown and dry. Remove noodles from wok and divide into two plates.
To prepare the gravy
- Heat 2 Tbsp of oil over medium-high heat. Fry the fermented bean sauce, minced garlic, coconut sugar, soy sauce, and white pepper until the garlic starts to brown.
- Add the marinaded chicken, and stir fry for another minute until chicken is almost cooked.
- Add the shrimp, stir fry for another minute.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the Chinese broccoli, bring to boil again. In the mean time, mix 2 Tbsp corn starch with 3 Tbsp of water to prepare the thickener.
- Once the sauce is boiling, slowly add the cornstarch thickener, stirring the sauce continuously as the thickener is added. The sauce will thicken. Continue adding the thickener until the desired consistency.
- Ladle the gravy over the noodles.
- Garnish with slices of fish cake.
- Dust a 1/4 tsp white pepper over the noodles.
- Serve hot with pickled green chilli.