Craving Chwee Kueh …
(A) Chwee Kueh (Rice Cake)
- 200g rice flour
- 16g wheat starch
- 16g corn starch
- 2/3 tsp salt
- 3 tsp canola oil
- 400ml room temperature water
- 540ml boiling water
(B) Topping (Minced Preserved Raddish Topping)
- 200g finely minced preserved raddish
- 40g chopped garlic
- 40g thinly sliced shallots
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp roasted sesame seeds
- 160ml canola oil
- 2 Tbsp sugar
To prepare topping:
- Rinse minced raddish twice and drain well. Squeeze to remove excess water.
- Mix minced raddish, chopped garlic, shallots, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Heat oil in wok and fry the mixed ingredients until the garlic and shallots are golden brown.
- Stir in the roasted sesame seeds and set aside.
To prepare Chwee Kueh:
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together rice flour, wheat starch, corn starch, salt, oil, and 400 ml room temperature water.
- Boil 540ml water in a separate medium pot, remove from heat. Whisk boiling water into the mixing bowl in a steady stream, whisking constantly as boiling water is added. Return batter to the pot.
- Prepare a cold water bath large enough to accommodate the medium pot.
- Cook batter in the pot over medium low heat until it starts to thicken, whisking constantly. Do not over cook the batter.
- Turn off heat and transfer the pot to the cold water bath immediately once batter starts to thicken, whisk the batter for a few more minutes. Leave the batter to cool.
- Prepare a steamer with Chwee Kueh molds. Ladle the batter into the molds, fill each mold to 3mm from the rim. Steam in multiple batches as needed.
- Steam each batch of cakes for 20 minutes. Remove the molds from the steamer. Set aside to cool.
To serve Chwee Kueh:
- Reheat the Chwee Kueh in a steamer if needed for 5 minutes.
- Unmold the Chwee Kueh to a serving plate by running a tooth pick or a small offset spatula along the side of the mold.
- Add a teaspoon of minced raddish topping.